December 7, 2012

San Diego - Day 1

In my 33 years, I have never flown on a plane. Lyle spent a lot of the summer working in New Mexico, accumulating flight miles and hotel points that he decided to redeem to take me on a 3-day trip to San Diego!

I was extremely apprehensive (even if flying is statistically safer than driving, my mind was consumed with thoughts of terrorists and fiery deaths and never seeing my babies again), but one cannot live in fear. Right? So, off we went! We had to catch the 7:30 flight so I was up at 4 in the morning! Yikes!



The flight was actually pretty smooth.  I wasn't expecting it to be so loud while flying, or the sudden stop when we landed, but overall, no turbulence or unexpected delays.  We had a plane change in Oakland, CA and then we touched down in San Diego!  We checked out our rental car (which, incidentally, drove like crap), and then we were off to tour the USS Midway!

It was unintentional, but we happened to tour the aircraft carrier on Pearl Harbor day!  The ship was huge!  Lyle and I didn't dawdle, but it still took us almost 4 hours to tour that ship.  Whew! 
















After we finished the tour, we boarded a ferry to take us on a tour of the North Bay.  We were actually pretty excited to get out on the water itself.  It wasn't too cold that day, we had great weather the entire weekend! As we passed naval ship after naval ship (San Diego is the main dock for the Pacific Naval Fleet), the sun dipped below the horizon and every ship retired the flag.  It was really cool to pass the ships and see each flag coming down the mast and then hearing a sailor blow a whistle. 












For dinner, we ate fresh cod at a little shack right on the pier.  It was so fresh, it crumbled in your hand!  Lyle was in heaven.  I enjoyed it too, but could only eat so much before the texture got to me.  We headed to our hotel, Skyped the kidlets and then fell into bed.  Our poor feet were so tired and so we were after getting up so early!



No comments:

Post a Comment