December 9, 2012

San Diego - Day 3

On our final day in San Diego, we checked out of our hotel and headed over to Old Town. San Diego was founded by the Spanish, so this little town had a decidedly Spanish/Mexican flair. It was awesome!













We bought some hand-painted Mexcian tile trivets and some handmade maracas and chowed down on some street tacos that were divine!   We had a little time left before we had to head to the airport, so we headed to the coast;  Cabrillo National Park.






Lyle enjoyed looking in the tide pools for starfish and hermit crabs, and getting his feet wet as the tide came in.





As we traveled home on the planes, it was really neat to look out the window and see the various cities lit up below us;  the highways with moving cars looked like rivers.  Lyle kept track of our flight progress on his phone and the entire time I kept looking at him with a big grin saying, "I'm so excited to see my babies!".    We left San Diego in roughly 68 degree weather, stepped off the plane onto the jetway and we could see our breath.  It was soooo cold!  :(

Ava was asleep when we got home.  We couldn't wake her up for anything.  we tried calling her name, kissing her cheeks and nuzzling her neck...she lay there like a log.  So, after hugging Sean and visiting with him for a few minutes (we got to Mom's house at about 12:15 a.m.), we went to bed.  I woke up the next morning to a cry of, "Mommy!".  It was so awesome!  :)

I was nervous about leaving Ava for so long.  She seems to be more attached to me than Sean ever was.  She screams and freaks out when I leave her with Lyle for a girls night, so I was nervous about leaving her with Lyle's parents over the weekend.  Nervous about how she would behave when we left.  I hoped she would stay asleep since we left so early on Friday morning, but she woke up.  In spite of my fears, as we walked out the door, she simply waved and said, "Bye, Mama, Daddy...love you".  It completely shocked me and Lyle.  And she did great the entire time we were gone too!  I'm so grateful for family close by that we can turn to when we need something and their willingness to serve and help out.

It was a whirlwind vacation, but desperately needed.  The last time Lyle and I got away alone was when Sean was 2!  So, it was time.  It was refreshing, exciting, nerve-wracking, fun, enjoyable and romantic.  Can't wait to do it again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment